Thursday, December 8, 2016

My Time at the UF J-School

The Center for Media Innovation and Research (CMIR) has a few memories for me. I have been there for club meetings, study sessions, and to talk with UF J-School alums on Skype with the video screen. The video calls were really fun and interesting because we, as a club or class, got to ask the alum questions. The alums were so great providing us with their insight, which was great because they were once in our shoes and in the TV business (where we want to be).
            The College of Journalism and Communications have been really great for many students and I. For me personally, I have had many learning experiences in the J-School. The J-School does a great job giving students the best real life experiences inside school. During classes TV1 and TV2, I got a rude awakening into the TV business. There’s a bad aspect of any job out there and I learned everything bad aspect of being a TV reporter. Specifically in TV2, it was tough, my partner and I face all types of challenges where people didn’t want to talk to us, or simply not making deadline. Those were real experiences many other students other schools do not get to have.
            Another thing I learned was to what it meant to wait my turn. I had to wait three years for me to get an opportunity in front of the camera. During those three years I saw friends and classmates get opportunities I wanted. I was constantly passed over for things on-air in both Radio and TV. This past summer, I finally got a chance to do a segment on our school news show. Going through those experiences of getting past over taught me two things: never give up on your dreams and TV/Radio is a cutthroat business. I have the confidence that I can succeed, but if it doesn’t work out I understand.

I understand the risk of the profession and how cruel it can be. I’m thankful and will always be thankful that I got a chance here to live out my TV dreams, even if it means I can barely compete for a job. Decades from now I can look back and be proud of myself for not giving up. I still don’t have any plans of quitting now. It’s still in my heart to be a sportscaster and I feel it when I working a ESPNGainesville at Weimar Hall. I’ll keep giving it my all then dealing the results of the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment